Saturday, October 13, 2012

40 Oz Bounce


As I'm sure most of you know mayor Bloomberg has put in motion a plan to stop the selling of any sugary beverage that is over 16 Ozs at restaurants, stadiums, and  other venues. Stating obesity as the reason for this change, Bloomberg has received criticism from New Yorkers who feel that the government has no right dictating how they enjoy their sugary drinks. One has to obey their thirsty even if that thirst comes from diabetes.  Without question this "new rule", is a conversation starter because nothing like it has been done before. There might be long term benefits such as healthier, slimmer New Yorkers which may create more space seat space on trains and buses. Seriously though, the stated reason by Bloomberg was a concern for public obesity and the ailments that come along with being overweight. This lead me to think of another beverage that affects public health, alcohol. Almost every New Yorker can attest to the disruptive nature of people who have had one too many drinks. Whether its a homeless person, an individual from a non profit residence, loud newly minted 21 yr olds or washed up old heads, alcohol brings the asshole out in everyone. Since Bloomberg is speaking Trap talk oz's and pounds, why not start with banning the sale of 40 oz beers, maybe even 22 Oz's. Beers of only 16 Oz should be sold in corner stores and gas stations, just a suggestion. Imagine the potential impact this can have on alcoholism. Sure people could buy more that one 16 Oz can but maybe there is some truth to this reverse psychological stuff that Bloomy is talking about. Throughout his soda campaign, mayor Bloomberg has cited studies that suggest people are more likely to have only one sugary drink of that's what's in front of them. So by logic shouldn't this work in the case of 40 Oz beers. I would love to see how a ban on the sale of 40 and 22Oz beers would affect my neighborhood of East New York as well as places like Brownsville, Bed Stuy, Harlem and the Bronx. I know that this won't eliminate alcoholism in NYC but it would send a strong message that public health is more than protection from airborne diseases and zombie attacks its about finding creative ways to solve problems. I'm sure the public won't oppose something like this, I'm more confident that areas around NYC where two or three non profit residences are on one block won't be opposed to a measure banning 40 oz's.

 Battling obesity, is a commendable thing to do, however, direction from the government on how much soda to drink with my meal when I'm out is too close to Big Brother for me. Regulating liquor, however, is something that I'm down for, after all prohibition was a real thing. I believe a ban of this nature would have a stronger impact than a sugary drink ban and would be welcomed with open arms in a city that had a quality of life campaign by the previous mayor. Maybe I should run for mayor now that I think about it, I got nothing to lose except my privacy and life if I get enough haters. All jokes aside, I'm apolitical for now and don't see any change in the future, the TV show Boss has confirmed my suspicions about elected office. I'll stick to talking unfiltered shit on the internet. Back to the business at hand, ask yourself why a similar approach can't be applied to alcoholic beverages. Alcohol causes deaths the same way obesity does, many times in ways more tragic than being overweight can. I don't see Bloomy asking for limits on how much rum and cokes a person can have, but maybe he needs to and people will start to take him serious, well people in neighborhoods where I'm from. Its going to be interesting to see how the city will adapt to this new Big Brother tactic from a little mayor lol.

 On that note I'll be checking in with you again with more thought provoking blog post. Pray for me because grad school and working in social service is kicking my ass. I feel like I need a 40 oz of St. Ides right now. Later folks !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment